Many business professionals feel perennially stressed and out of control, versus calm and satisfied with their position. They realize that their productivity is suffering, as well as their health, but they don’t know what to do about it. It’s all about work-life balance and enjoying the role.
Work management strategies for keeping cool and calm in the face of increasing demands at work are important. On the top of the list is a focus on minimizing multitasking, a result of continuous smartphone and email alerts, as well as an instant gratification mentality. Trying to do too many things at the same time results in nothing done well.
Here is a prioritized list of work management strategies recommended for all business professionals and entrepreneurs:
- Avoid reliance on multitasking to keep up with requests. Multitasking can actually decrease productivity and increase stress. Instead, focus on one task at a time and give it your full attention.
- Schedule uncomfortable tasks when you are fresh and alert. If you have a task that you dread, don’t put it off. Schedule it for a time when you are feeling your best and most motivated.
- Practice patience to listen before reacting out of emotion. When someone is upset with you or says something that you don’t agree with, take a deep breath and listen patiently. Don’t react in the heat of the moment.
- Look at each challenge with a fresh and clean perspective. When you’re feeling stressed or overwhelmed, take a step back and look at the situation with a fresh perspective. This can help you to see the challenge in a new light and come up with creative solutions.
- Seek to provide thoughtful and sincere responses to input. When someone gives you feedback, take the time to think about it carefully before responding. Offer thoughtful and sincere responses that show that you’ve listened and considered what they’ve said.
- Find an activity to clear your head and refocus on the positives. When you’re feeling stressed, take a break to do something that you enjoy. This could be taking a walk, listening to music, or spending time with loved ones.
- Avoid extended internal battles with tough problems. When you’re facing a difficult problem, don’t dwell on it for too long. Take a break from it and come back to it later with fresh eyes.
- Intentionally schedule at least one enjoyable activity every day. It’s important to take time for yourself to relax and de-stress. Make sure to schedule at least one enjoyable activity into your day, whether it’s reading, taking a bath, or spending time with loved ones.
Following these mindsets can help you to stay calm and productive, even when things get hectic.