Boss’s Day is just around the corner – taking place on Monday, October 16th this year – and it’s the perfect opportunity to show your appreciation for the person who goes above and beyond for your team! The holiday was founded in 1958 by Patricia Bays Haroski, who was a secretary at the time. She chose October 16th because it was her father’s birthday, and he was her boss.
Why We Love National Boss’s Day
They gave us our jobs
They hired us, pay us, and keep our workplace afloat. It’s a lot of responsibility to manage other people, but someone’s got to do it!
They take the blame when things go badly
When the client backs out or the contract is lost, odds are your boss is the one going under the bus. Bosses fall on their swords for us more often than we may realize, and they understand that it’s part of their position to do so. Now go and buy them some thank you chocolate!
They are mentors and more
The best bosses are excellent judges of character and can see our potential, sometimes even before we do. Many of them take immense pleasure in helping younger, less experienced colleagues develop their own abilities, network, and generally succeed in their field. And, by doing so, they can boost your career into the stratosphere. If you’ve found a boss like that, consider yourself lucky!
There are many ways to celebrate Boss’s Day. Some people give their bosses gifts, such as flowers, candy, or gift certificates. Others write thank-you notes or cards. Still others take their bosses out to lunch or dinner. Whatever you do, make sure it is something that your boss will appreciate.
Here are 10 creative ways to show your boss that you appreciate them:
- A custom caricature: This is a fun and unique way to show your boss how much you appreciate them. You can find artists who can create caricatures online or in your local area.
- A personalized gift basket: This is a great way to show your boss that you thought about their interests. Fill the basket with their favorite snacks, drinks, and other goodies.
- A framed photo of the team: This is a thoughtful gift that your boss will cherish. Choose a photo that captures the team’s spirit and hard work.
- A donation to their favorite charity: This is a way to show your boss that you care about their values. Choose a charity that they are passionate about and make a donation in their name.
- A personalized coffee mug: This is a practical gift that your boss will use every day. Choose a mug with a funny or inspiring message that reflects their personality.
- A gift certificate to a massage spa: This is a gift that will help your boss relax and de-stress. Choose a spa that offers massages, facials, and other treatments.
- A subscription to a wine or beer club: This is a gift that your boss will enjoy for months to come. Choose a club that sends them a variety of wines or beers each month.
- A plant or flower arrangement: This is a beautiful and thoughtful gift that will brighten up your boss’s office. Choose a plant or flowers that are their favorite color or that match the décor of their office.
- A piece of art: This is a unique and personal gift that your boss will cherish. Choose a piece of art that reflects their style or interests.
- A handwritten note: This is the simplest, yet most thoughtful gift of all. Take the time to write a note to your boss expressing your appreciation for them.
No matter what gift you choose, make sure it is something that your boss will appreciate and enjoy. The most important thing is that the gift comes from the heart.